Monday, November 15, 2010

UQ Cloisters


WHAT
Cloisters of the 'Earth Sciences' building at St Lucia campus of the University of Queensland (UQ).

WHY
UQ was where I studied my science degree and I always liked the sandstone buildings that surrounded the grassy "Great Court" Area.

I selected this particular cloister to photograph because of the nice shadows cast by the arches and columns on the left wall . Looking into the photo, I find my eye is drawn to the end of the pathway and makes me want to see what's around the corner.

HOW
At the time I took this shot, I had just been introduced to the world of HDR (High Dynamic Range) photography by my husband. Therefore, this in an HDR image. I used a tripod and remote cable shutter lead to prevent any movement of the camera for the 3 bracketed shots I took. The exposure levels for the three shots were -2,0,+2.

Usually the campus is bustling with students moving around, however I was there on a weekend about an hour before sunset and the place was almost deserted, hence I was able to take my time composing the shot without people walking through it.

POST PRODUCTION
I uploaded the 3 images into Photomatix (software used for producing HDR images by combining shots taken at different exposure levels). I then tone mapped and adjusted the resulting image using the available options in photomatix until I was happy with the results.


Buy my art

No comments:

Post a Comment