Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Cocktail Time


WHAT
A martini glass filled with water and green food colouring

WHY
When I took this shot, I'd been doing a lot of reading about macro photography. I was intrigued and amazed at the efforts photographers go to in order to set up a scene for that type of photography! For example, using eye droppers to place glucose or oil droplets in other less dense liquids to create the 'suspended drop' look.

HOW
I used an eye dropper to place a single drop of green food colouring into the water in the glass. I took a quick succession of shots as the green dye bled out into the water. The background is simply the reverse side of a glass kitchen chopping board. I also shone a desk lamp towards the background to indirectly illuminate the water in the glass.

I found it quite difficult to focus the camera to produce a shot I was happy with - the auto-focus function would lock onto the stem or rim of the glass (or something else altogether!) which would leave the carefully placed food colouring looking less sharp than I wanted.

In retrospect, I probably should have used a tripod and switched off the
lens' autofocus function and manually focus on what I wanted - the pattern and shapes produced by the green dye in the water.

POST PRODUCTION
In photoshop I adjusted the tint to produce the pink colour of the background (which was white originally).

Buy my art

No comments:

Post a Comment