Sunday, November 7, 2010

Firehose sculpture

WHAT
This object is a sculpture located at the front of the Kippa-Ring fire station, about 40 mins north of Brisbane City. I had seen this rather strange looking thing a few times whilst I was en route to another photography location at the nearby sea side.

WHY
The bright red colour never failed to catch my eye as I passed it by and when I realised the sculpture was a curvy, metal firehose I was instantly tickled by its uniqueness! I decided I had to capture it with my camera.

HOW
I planned this shot carefully in order to capture only the sculpture in the frame and none of the firestation itself (which is directly behind the sculpture). I found that I liked how the hose appeared in the scene as I was composing it - running from left to right and filling the frame. The blue sky behind it really helped to bring out the bright red colour of the hose.
I can't remember the exact camera settings I used, but it was in Aperture priority mode.

POST-PRODUCTION
Editing was done in photoshop bridge (I'd learnt a few more tricks since the first photo I posted) and consisted of increasing the vibrance/saturation of the scene and placing a black vignette around the edges to really draw the viewer's eye to the red firehose. This effect also helped hide some rooftops and vegetation that had crept in at the edges.


Buy my art

No comments:

Post a Comment