Sunday, November 7, 2010

Ibis bathing




WHAT


This shot was taken at the Brisbane Entertainment Centre picnic area, Brisbane. The entertainment centre is Brisbane's premier concert venue and has some nice lagoons and picnic areas in its grounds.





At the time, I was taking shots of a beautiful purple waterlilly flower:

when I heard a kerfuffle taking place next to me. I saw an ibis (a long legged waterbird often viewed as a pest in Australia due to its scavenging behaviour) having a bath at the edge of the pond.

HOW

I quickly attached my lens with the largest available zoom and switched to 'sports' mode to capture the fast flying droplets of water. I took many photos in quick succession but this one was my favourite because of the way the water flicked up from the Ibis' tail feathers.

I shot this using the camera's black and white mode. However I've since learnt that it's probably better to always shoot in colour and then use image manipulation software to change it to black and white in order to have more control over the tones produced in the photo. But as I have said before - I'm only a beginner and am constantly learning!






Buy my art

No comments:

Post a Comment