Thursday, November 11, 2010

Reflections of the wheel part I and II

Part I


Part II


WHAT

These shots were taken at the entry to Southbank Parklands - an inner City parkland complete with man-made beach. The ferris wheel structure is a tourist attraction known as the "Brisbane Eye", similar to the "London Eye."


There had been a sudden downpour of rain a few hours before I took these photos, producing the large puddle in front of the wheel.



WHY
The wheel has come to be an icon on the Brisbane landscape and I had yet to capture it with my camera. On this day however, the sky was a boring solid grey with little to no sunshine to be found. My goal of capturing the wheel with a brilliant blue sky behind it were dashed. I had to think outside the box about how to photograph the wheel in these conditions so as I still get a nice, interesting photograph. As soon as I saw the puddle, I wanted to use it.

In the case of the first photo, I especially liked it because it included a number of passers-by, but not in a way that they distract too much from the primary subject of the shot - the reflection of the wheel.

HOW (Part I)

Using aperture priority, I focused the camera on the reflection in the puddle so the wheel could clearly be seen. I hand-held the camera and took a number of shots. I shot in the camera's black and white mode as the terrible weather had washed away the chances of getting a vibrant and colourful shot.

HOW (Part II)

Using a tripod, I set up beside the same puddle as the previous shot but a few hours later so it was well after sunset. In fact the cloud cover had been so thick that there wasn't really a sunset to be seen!

I set the shutter speed to approximately 4 seconds and shot while the wheel was in operation, which resulted in the blurred appearance of the wheel - so much that the individual passenger cradles cannot be seen. The blue light on the wheel also added to the mood of the shot.

POST PRODUCTION

Increased contast using photoshop



Buy my art

No comments:

Post a Comment